Welcome to all… from the Macromarketing Society,
We are an international group of scholars who are interested in examining the varied interactions among markets, marketing and society.
The Macromarketing Society’s aim is to encourage, facilitate and help disseminate all things related to macromarketing. By virtue of our focus, we believe that certain propositions deeply matter and their manifestations affect everyone, worldwide. For example,
- Markets, marketing and society are connected into a networked system that shapes economic outcomes as well as global human welfare now and well into the future;
- The nature and structure of market operations are decisive; free, competitive markets have many seminal advantages but constraints and controls are often necessary and these can take many forms;
- The discipline of Marketing is central to the provisioning of society’s needs via its focus on the co-creation of value propositions and the facilitation of exchange;
- The nature of the macromarketing system shapes quality-of-life, stakeholder well-being, environmental sustainability and general societal flourishing;
- Political ideologies, normative ethics, technology and cultural factors are embedded at all levels of the marketing system.
The above points capture a multitude of critical issues, indeed inherent macromarketing issues, and they deserve careful study and analysis.
The links on this website connect viewers to a number of key macromarketing writings and other resources. Two of our Society’s principle undertakings are (a) the Annual Macromarketing Conference, held at locations around the globe since 1976, and (b) the publication of the quarterly Journal of Macromarketing, the premiere outlet for macromarketing research since 1981. Communicating our insights about the broader issues surrounding marketing and market based systems is another of our primary functions. To this end, we call your attention to the Teaching materials included within our Resources link.
Macromarketers are a diverse set of (mostly) academic researchers (see the roster of our Board membership) with a correspondingly diverse set of interests that include market development, social & ecological sustainability, quality-of-life assessment, public policy, ethics & CSR, marketing history, consumer culture, and critical marketing studies, among other areas. We believe in rigorous scholarship and analysis but we are not bound by particular methodological approaches due to the complexity of the phenomena we study. And so, scholars interested in macromarketing are also connected in the activities of various related organizations and journals—see our Links link!
If you are not yet a member, please consider joining the Macromarketing Society. Subscribe to our Journal http://jmk.sagepub.com/ or utilize the contact information provided on this website. Membership is included in your registration fee, should you attend our conference, which features stimulating sessions about the most salient questions deriving from marketing related systems and issues. Finally, we are friendly folks, looking for good ideas about macromarketing concerns from wherever they derive.
Gene Laczniak, President